What is Polycystic Ovarian Syndrome
Polycystic Ovarian Syndrome (PCOS) is a frustrating medical disorder. This commentary will deliver complete information about Polycystic Ovarian Syndrome and the ways to inverse the symptoms and put the disease in a remission state. The commentary provided by Dr. Tsan has would inspire and encourage every lady to be optimistic and to fight for her health.
Polycystic Ovarian Syndrome is a female’s gynecological condition is strictly linked to her general well-being.
40 years ago Polycystic Ovarian Syndrome (PCOS) previously known as Stein-Leventhal disease used to be a very uncommon disorder. In medical school, the gynecology department not always had a patient with this condition to demonstrate to medical students. However time changed and today this syndrome became very “popular”. Every month I see 2 – 3 new patients. The pathophysiological mechanism of Polycystic Ovarian Syndrome starts from the endocrine system. Extra production of androgen (men’s sexual hormone) causes depicting numerous pustules in ovaries. These pustules filled with a liquid called cysts and it results in a specific name for this medical condition – Polycystic Ovarian Syndrome (PCOS). The PCOS causes significant hormonal disproportion and this disproportion secondary result in menstrual irregularity, infertility, excessive hair grow and other somatic symptoms.
Causes of Polycystic Ovarian Syndrome
- There are no officially known causes for Polycystic Ovarian Syndrome
- Genetic / inherited
- Increased concentration of androgen for whatever reason.
- In lab studies, a higher level of Insulin caused the creation of extra androgen.
Symptoms of Polycystic Ovarian Syndrome
- Amenorrhea, Oligomenorrhea, Dysmenorrhea.
- The body shape converts to masculine type (flat buttocks, slim hips, small breast, etc.)
- Manlike configuration hair loss
- Masculine low type of voice
- Over-abundant secretion of the sebaceous by scalp
- Seborrheic dermatitis of the scalp.
- Changes in alertness (typically higher alertness in the morning and lower in an afternoon)
- Lack of libido
- Small breast
- Lower abdominal pain during sexual contact
- Weight gain
- Fertility problems
An ultrasound evaluation in Polycystic Ovarian Syndrome demonstrates deviations in the structure of ovaries caused by many small size cysts. These growths are settled around the outer rim of each ovary, underneath the external layer. They supposed to break out prior to each ovulation and deliver the ovum. However in the case of Polycystic Ovarian Syndrome, it never happens and ovaries get covered with multiple cysts.
Because the ovulation missed, the concentration of hormones is rising and the period does not start as lower level of androgen should initiate it
The higher concentration of androgen and testosterone (male sexual hormones) causes hirsutism, different types of dermatitis, amenorrhea and weight gain.
Western medicine uses Clomiphene for infertility healing. This symptom most often makes women to seek for professional medical help and to see a gynecologist. Clomiphene, according to clinical trials, prompts ovulation in 65% – 75% of women. Stimulated ovulation, however, is not equal to get pregnant. There are many factors that may cause infertility in Polycystic Ovarian Syndrome patients. Just some of them most significant are:
- Low carbohydrate load diet; is advised and also the medication;
- Metformin which people with type 2 diabetes take.
Homeopathic Approach to Polycystic Ovarian Syndrome
Homeopathic medicine is the leading alternatives for Polycystic Ovarian Syndrome therapy. The homeopathic methodology is constitutional taking into consideration the individual’s somatic signs alongside with psychological, emotional and genetic changes. The early in the phase of the disease the homeopathy treatment started – the better is prognosis for Polycystic Ovarian Syndrome development. Because of its constitutional and holistic approach homeopathic medicine cures the initial abnormality that caused and stimulated the advance of Polycystic Ovarian Syndrome and all symptoms accompanying this medical disorder.
If homeopathic remedies selected based on main principles of “like cures like” medical philosophy the treatment reinstates the hormonal stability, put on a normal footing menstruation and ovulation, as well as abolishes the necessity of surgical treatment and Hormone replacement therapy (HRT).
Another effective holistic treatment for Polycystic Ovarian Syndrome is Traditional Chinese Medicine (TCM).
The primary method in TCM is acupuncture. Based on Meridian theory of yin and yang qi energy and five elements philosophy acupuncture benefits female’s organism in controlling and management of the hormonal level. As a result, of the result of this the menstrual cycle returns back to normal, the follicle erupts on the surface of the ovary producing ovum, the ovulation occurs and the female patient becomes fertile and able to get pregnant. Also, as a result, of all these changes headaches diminish frame of mind and attitude improve and extra hair growing stops.
When TCM practitioner heals Polycystic Ovarian Syndrome using acupuncture, acupoints selected based on the result of pulse and tongue diagnostics. These two techniques bring information about the meridians that are initially blocked and in which the Qi energy flow is abnormal. After that needles are inserted in the acupoints located on these meridians. Very often however acupoints located on different meridians needled based on the ancient Chinese rules: “parents child” and “husband-wife”. Acupuncture treatment fuels the female’s reproductive system, advances blood circulation, regulates hormone proportional balance and supports the appropriate functioning of the ovaries and uterus.
Along with the homeopathic and/or acupuncture treatment for Polycystic Ovarian Syndrome some Self Care Measures are recommended:
- Physical Exercises;
- Healthy and preferably organic food. More fruits and vegetables and fewer meat products. Get the essential amount of protein from beans and fat from nuts and olive oil.
- Decrease daily consumption of carbohydrates, especially starches, sugar and gluten.
- Eliminate saturated fats.
- Exclude from meals products that contain artificial colors and flavors.
- Watch your weight.
Viva Healthy Life ranked #1 holistic center in Philadelphia where all alternative techniques gathered under one roof. It is convenient, but not only. Dr. Tsan – Medical Director of Viva Healthy Life is the medical doctor with 35+ years of academic and clinical experience. Dr. Tsan well-trained in all major holistic and alternative techniques:
- Acupuncture (graduated from The Graduate School of China Academy of Chinese Medical Sciences (GSCACMS) located in Beijing China);
- Homeopathy (graduated Kyiv Medical Academy of Postgraduate Education, in Kyiv, Ukraine);
- Clinical hypnotherapy (graduated American School of Hypnosis, In Biddeford, ME);
- Reiki (graduated from the most famous Reiki Teachers in the world at the India Crystal Reiki Academy).
All Dr. Tsan’s associates at Viva Healthy Life are working under his strict supervision.